Sunday, January 17, 2010

First Run Back with the Running Room

I marshaled my forces this morning, and made myself go to the Running Room for the first time in months. Since it was my first run in so long for so early in the morning, I had to carefully choose what to wear: my long winter running pants, an undershirt, my long sleeve half-marathon shirt, and my running jacket. For -1C, I felt a touch chilly, because the wind was pretty cold.

Getting there with a few minutes to spare gave me enough time to kick myself for having missed out on great social opportunities, to reacquaint myself with old friends, and to figure out which group was where. With a new manager, the style of sending groups out has changed, but I still got the same warm feeling of being among friends.

Since the half-marathon group was scheduled to do 6km today, I joined them. They were going a bit longer than I had wanted to, but I knew the run path very well. I dropped back a bit, as the pace leader was faster than I wanted to go, and started talking with the half-marathon clinic leader. I'm delighted that we talked, because she's leading the marathon clinic at the Slater St. store, where I'll be taking my half-marathon clinic in February.

My run, while thoroughly enjoyable with conversation, was cut to about 5.5km, because both my knees and my right Achilles tendon were aching. I know I'll have to start my knee-strengthening exercises, and sooner or later, I should consult with my athletic therapist.

Another race I am thinking of partaking in is the St. Patrick's Day 5k/10k on March 15th. I don't honestly know what distance I'll do; if it was on a Sunday, I would do the 10k as a long-run, but since it's a Saturday, I may just do the 5k for fun.

Now, I am warming up at home, as I never do well with cold winds and exercise. Stay warm out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment