Monday, May 14, 2012

Sunday Long Runs: Water

Yesterday was Mothers' Day, but I really needed to go out and do a run. I hadn't eaten a proper breakfast (whole wheat biscuits and coffee just don't cut it!), I had waited until the temperature was 20C, and I didn't take enough water. I took a gel with me (the new Mint Chocolate from GU is yummy!), but I really needed to be drinking more water along the way as the sun was beating down (if I'd been standing, it'd be nice) and a hot wind not helping.

Result: General dehydration, tiredness, mental stumbling. The fact that I didn't really rest after the run, but took off to St. Albert, then came home and got cooking, doesn't help.

Lesson: Take at least two waters on long runs. Run at 15C for best comfort. Eat a decent breakfast. Give yourself time to rest (aka, basic lessons I've learned before but sometimes have to relearn).

Weird things you see: I saw a car backing out of a driveway, and as I passed to look at the driver side, I saw this huge stuffed bear leaning out the window.

No comments:

Post a Comment