Saturday, June 27, 2009

Cold 1, Jelly .5

I haven't run in about two weeks now. I'm appreciating how much that sucks now.

I went home for a week two weeks ago. I got a couple of fun runs in while I was home, but one night I left the window open, having forgotten how much the temperature drops in that area.
Long story short, I got sick, and have spent the last two weeks getting better, and I don't think I'm quite 'there' yet. It started in my nose and throat, but as they say, shit rolls down hill, and the cold moved into my lungs.

Today, I tried a run, and managed to make it half-way before I gave up the ghost, due to a few things:
Insufficient nutrition: Yeah, I was dumb and didn't eat very well.
Heat: Holy hell is it hot out there at noon. Not only that, it's impossible to choose a better side of the street to run on, because the sun is right overhead.
Not enough water: Since I was only planning to do 4k out there, I didn't think it'd be so bad. Lesson learned.
Damn cold: The cough is still in my lungs, though so much lesser than it was a week ago.

Fortunately (or so I keep telling myself), we're still really early in the running program, so I am hoping to bounce back without too much difficulty.

Something that I've been wanting to do for a while, and hopefully will be able to, is running in the morning before work. The problem is that I am very bad at getting up and doing anything more strenuous than having a shower and downing some Cheerios. Maybe I'll give it a shot this week when I have more time off of work.

And last but not least, I got my shiny new wrist toy! The Garmin Forerunner 305 now clunkenly adorns my wrist, and I've got to learn how to use it. First thing: changing the miles to kilometers. Things seem faster that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment