Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Morning Again

Morning again. Morning alarm. Time to wake up, and run.

The sun is already up and would wake me but for the heavy blinds blocking most of it out. My body knows it's time to get up, but does the rest of me?

Boyfriend is deeply ensconced in blankets and sleep. But I am determined that I'm going to do this, I prepared for it, and I know it's the best chance I'll have to run today.

So I get up, and get dressed, and go downstairs. I am on automatic. Water? No, I'll have a need-a-bathroom-NOW moment. Coffee? Dehydrating. Food? ... Not this time.

All is ready. It's a bit chilly outside, I can't find my sunglasses, but my Garmin is started, and here we are, out the door.

And I'm off, at a quick pace. 5:30 min/km is a bit quick, first thing in the morning, but I figure it's how my body is feeling, so let's go with it. I can feel my muscles waking up, protesting this movement, the quick turnover of my legs and feet. Hey, they say, this is not what we do first thing in the morning.

After five minutes, the quick pace is affecting me, so I take a small walk break. I figure it's because I haven't eaten anything. No water with me, either. Try to slow down, maybe. There are so few cars on the road, I feel like I'm in my own little world. Sun, birds, gentle breeze - this is perfect.

Start running again, and slowing down is not what my body wants to do. The faster I go, the faster it's over, right? Down 167 Ave, and I have to squint because the sun is over the horizon and just to my left. Sunglasses are necessary. By 71 St, I can feel the wall I'm starting to approach. It's not even 2km in, and I'm feeling this. Should really slow down.

Turn down 66 St, heading for the power lines. I have learned my lesson from Sunday, and switch over to the other side of the road when the side-walk runs out. As I complete the 180 turn and start heading back, I'm still hitting my previous speeds, maybe just a touch slowed to 5:45 min/km. There are a few more people on the path under the power lines, but the usual wind-tunnel effect hasn't started yet. It's pretty pleasant, now that the sun is behind me, but my legs are starting to hurt more.

I'm running out of energy, and I'm still at least a kilometer away from home. Can't stop now, though. No one is awake to pick me up, and I didn't bring my cellphone. Keep running, keep running, and you'll get there sooner. I pass an old Asian man who runs a few steps, then stops to walk. I want to tell him, "Don't let anything stop you from running," but it would be weird and condescending, so I keep going. Besides, anyone who gets out there is winning, no matter what speed they're going.

Up past the school, so very close to home. On my final walk break, I see that I've breached 5km. That's good enough for today. Besides, that run was nearly 400 calories already, and on an empty tank. I walk back to my house, cooling off as I go, anticipating the shower. As I enter, the house is still quiet. I press the button to reheat yesterday's coffee, and head upstairs.

A good start to the day. Now, to the rest of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment