Sunday, June 24, 2012

What I Want to Do After a Run or, How I Started Listening to my Body

Frankly, when I get in after a long run on a Sunday, I want to spend a quiet day at home. I know that after the initial rush fades, and I have my desperately needed shower, I am going to crash, hard. I don't even want to listen to music.

Like today: I got in, and did my stretching (hoping to alleviate future knee and hip problems). I made a protein shake. I put an ice pack on my knees and sat quietly, and then I went and showered. After I dried off, I went and lay down. That's just what my body needs.

I find that anything further than 10k will demand my lying down, at least for right now. Maybe once I'm up in the higher distances, like 18 or 21km, I will find the threshold to be 15km. But right now, I'm training, and my body wants peace and quiet to recover from this faintly familiar punishment I'm putting it through. If I say that I don't want to go anywhere or do anything, it's not because I am avoiding anyone or being anti-social. It's because my body wants to move around about as much as it would like to swallow glass. My whole system just wants to rest now.

Last week was an example of doing it wrong: I did my run, then rushed home to get ready for Fathers' Day brunch. Ragnar and I walked around the large Enjoy Centre complex, and then I went and did the grocery shopping. As a result, my legs felt like I'd run about twice the distance, I was short-tempered, and my enjoyment of Sunday afternoon was shot.

So let us just say that quiet Sunday afternoons, watching football (once the season starts up) will be just what Dr. Jelly has ordered for herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment