Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Morning, Redux

Morning. Morning again. Sun peeking through the... wait, no, it's not.

It's grey outside. Grey and windy, and threatening to rain. Sometimes the best condition to run in, if you're not waking up at 5:15 to do it. But I said I would, so I get up, sneak to the bathroom to dress, and head downstairs. Today, I grab half a muffin and some water. I think I learned my lesson from yesterday.

Today, I put on my wind jacket, because who knows what will happen. I do a reverse of yesterday, heading out to the path under the power lines. It seems to stretch on forever, like two mirrors facing each other. My pace is slower than yesterday, which is great, and I feel more energy, from either the half muffin or running slower. I've already decided to do a shorter course, because I might go to the gym tonight.

However, as I'm approaching the turn-around point, I do consider going longer than I thought. But no, stick to the plan, I think. I hit 71 St, and start the turn around. Then I get to 167 Ave., and smack dab into the wind.

I hate running against the wind. So much extra effort and none of it recorded on my Garmin watch. Well, whatever. It's harder going against the wind, and all I can think about is passing the goals that lead me to the big one: home. There's the lights for 77 St. There's the cafe sign that sits in front of the pharmacy. There's the street lights, the fire house, and then the lights of my turn back towards home.

At about 50 meters out, I start to push. Not the fastest I can do, but faster, and to keep going, on a slight uphill grade. I'm reciting, "Finish strong," in my head as a mantra, "Push hard, finish strong." Just to the corner. But what's the corner? I'm too precise. It's the 45 degree angle of the corner block. I finish hard, and find my watch telling me I have run 4.5km this morning. Time to go home, shower, and have a coffee.

And get ready for work. I can't wait to run at lunchtime again...

In other news, one of the things I pass on my runs is the beautiful wild rose of Alberta:

The Wild Rose of Alberta



No comments:

Post a Comment