Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Sometimes, Indoors Isn't Hell

Hey, everyone,

I'm writing from British Freakin' Columbia. I'm celebrating because I can now say I've been in BC, more than driving through a corner, or stopping through the airport, or spending a few days in Victoria (which seems to be a world unto itself).

Last night, after about nine hours of driving, as we lay in our hotel bed, my legs were going through the usual haven't-run-in-a-week jiggles. Which is funny because I ran on Sunday, but apparently nine hours of sitting in a car equals three or so days of not-running, so who's counting?

Anyways, I got up and hit the fitness room at the hotel this morning. Admittedly, fitness room is a bit of a stretch for a title, because they had an elliptical machine, a stationary bicycle, and a treadmill. I hopped on the treadmill for an intended 30 minutes, but then as I was going on, did the math: if two miles is 3.2km, what is three miles? Close to 5km.

The pace I was hitting was not a challenge, so I decided after the first 30 minutes to let my boyfriend sleep a little longer and run until I hit 5km. Let's just say, worth iiiiit! I felt great coming off the treadmill, my legs didn't bug me until just now, and my hip, which has been worrying me, has stopped pestering me for the day. The best part was, the room was so warm that I had to take my shirt off... and spent a few too many minutes of the run, watching my newly svelte self in the perfectly placed mirror! Hard work success!

Then, funny story, I went to dinner with the boyfriend's family, and his grandmother had been kind enough to buy us a basket of fruit. But someone had misunderstood her, and cut up the fruit onto a huge fruit platter! So now we have enough fruit to make some great snacks!

The boyfriend will be heading out for a run at a faster speed than me tomorrow morning, so I will have to find my own pace and route. Some time this week, we will be going to run around Stanley Park and the Sea Wall, and then on Saturday, we'll do 16km.

Ahh, vacation. C'est la vie!

No comments:

Post a Comment