Sunday, July 1, 2012

Running in the Rain

As I take a break from packing for my visit to BC and my boyfriend's family, I reflect on this morning.

I got up and debated not going on my 16km run. Then I got breakfast, and figured I might as well.

It looked sunny enough, and as in my past few posts, if it looked like rain, it generally wasn't. So you can imagine that, as I looked out and saw clouds, I generally presumed it wouldn't be too bad.

We started off at a slower pace. My slower running buddy was there, and, loathe to leave one man behind, I stayed with her. We had gotten to about 5km in the route, and the heavens opened up.

At first, it was a trickle, but then it quickly became a downpour. My running buddy and I stopped for a bathroom break at Starbucks, and I debated calling my boyfriend for a ride home. But no, my buddy said, we started this, and she would finish this. And I said, if she can do this, so can I.

We kept running on. I turned off my Garmin when thunder started ringing, but I didn't see any lightning. Still, better safe than sorry.

Long story short, it was a pretty easy run over all. When we got in, other people from the half-marathon group clapped us in - I love that feeling. It certainly made the wet shoes, the shorts threatening to drop, and the mosquitoes feel worth it.

Then I hopped in my car and scrambled back home to get out of my clothes and into a very hot shower.

Next week will be 16km on Saturday in BC - looking forward to it!

Happy Canada Day, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment