Saturday, January 17, 2009

Diet

When I think of diet, I usually slide into the 'lose weight fast! Call Jenny Craig' idea of diet - that I'm not going to be able to enjoy my usual foods. I have to get my mind out of that rut. Diet should mean eating smarter.

I eat a lot of pasta, red meat, potatoes, rice, and cheese. These are like the staples in my diet. I never really ate salad, growing up - leafy greens aren't prominent in my household's British cooking style.

But I'm trying to change that. Now, I am at least aware that cheese is pretty fattening, and to be enjoyed sparingly (a little treat after a long walk home), whole-wheat pasta is just as yummy as durum-wheat pasta, I can still eat red meat but trim the fat, and potatoes and rice... those are good.

What I've managed to accomplish since I moved here is to almost completely eliminate fast food from my diet, avoid most junk foods like chocolate bars and chips (though there's been a recent falling-off-that-wagon), and putting yohgurt on pancakes is a fun new way to eat my favourite breakfast food (which I haven't eaten much of in a long time anyways).

So I'll talk about diet pitfalls and so on too.

No comments:

Post a Comment