Friday, January 16, 2009

Introduction

I've decided to start this blog as an encouragement to run. It's a bit nerve-wracking. I mean, I don't come from a family that runs, and I've never really enjoyed running for its own value.

You might be asking why the hell I'm doing this, then! A very good question.

The idea came to me as I was walking to work one day. This walk wasn't voluntary - the city's transit union is on strike, grinding the city to a relative halt. I, without car or carpool options, decided that walking 5.4 kilometres in winter wouldn't be so bad.
After doing that a few weeks, I was getting bored, so I thought it'd be a lovely way to get into running again.
I thought, however, that I needed some extra motivation - so I went and enrolled myself in the 10K run that will be happening on May 23, 2009.

So with all that, and with some extra gear for running in cold weather, I guess I'm ready.

Except for the weather, which turned even more unseasonably cold this week. I asked my friend who said that running in too-cold of weather can cause ice particles to form in the lungs. Since it's been -25C with a windchill taking it to -35C and lower, I've held off starting until next week. I think it would be detrimental, shocking my lungs like that.
That should get better by the end of this weekend, however, and next week should be much more exercise-inviting.

No comments:

Post a Comment