Saturday, January 24, 2009

Running in a New City

I have found a new, novel use for Yaktrax: if you are running in a new city, with lots of twists and turns, you can follow your yaktrax tracks back to your origin.

I am in Trois-Rivières this weekend, to watch my sister box. A lot of people seem... maybe not awed, but approving of my declared intention to run 10K. Coming from a boxing community, where a lot of their cardio is gained from running, this feels like a pat on the back.

I went out for a run this morning. The weather was a cool -15C with windchill to about -25C. After a few minutes of running, of course, I didn't feel the cold much anymore. I had my tunes going, I was out adventuring a new city, and I was running through a nagging tension in my left calf (an old issue, which I will explain when I remember exactly what it is).

I felt slightly plateau-ey. I didn't have quite as much fun as last time, but I'm aware that you have some good days, and some bad days, and hopefully it averages out to the good side.
This run would be classified as 'average'. There were a few times that I over-ran the clock (I'm still on the 2m run, 1m walk), so I think moving to the next week will be reasonably easy to follow through on.

I almost got lost, too! Fortunately, I headed back the way I came and then found my old Yaktrax marks in the scraped snow, thus saving me from an ignominious, chilly death.

However, I think I got a bit of frost bite on my face. Gotta be careful with that!

In other news, I think I like running in winter. I must be crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment