Saturday, January 15, 2011

St. Patrick's Day Run - March 12, 2010

For the first time ever, I did a short race for fun.

Author's Note: I was just going through my old posts and noticed this never got posted! So I'll finish it here, in the past tense.

It's been about a year since I did this race, and I will do it again this year, I am sincerely hoping!

Getting to the race, at a local high school was little problem. Parking was a bit more of one. Good thing I took the bus! But the energy once getting my racing kit was high, and the grey sky and drizzle didn't dampen anyone's spirits.

A running friend lent me a green tie with shamrocks all over it for an Irish flair. I still have it and will wear it again for this year's race. I consider it my medal for the race. :) Maybe I'll see her this year and be able to return it!

The race went well, but I decided that I really wanted to try for 5k in 30 minutes. I realized that I hadn't worked up my race pace enough and was pushing myself for it, and came in at 33m45s. Not too bad!

I also had a bit of incentive in this race. Later that day, I headed out to Petawawa to help celebrate my now-boyfriend's birthday and was able to regale them with the tale of my race.

Another way this race was fun: there is absolutely no competitive tone for this race, which encourages a lot of casual runners to join. I saw a lot of friends who were not usually runners in this race, and had a lot of fun comparing times and aches and pains later.

This year will mark one year of doing the St. Patrick's Day run and one year of dating my sweetie, who is encouraging and wonderful and a delight to run with!

No comments:

Post a Comment