Sunday, January 16, 2011

Running after a Snowfall

So with my glorious (?) return to the Running Room, I have also taken up Sunday morning runs.

The Running Room runs free running groups Wednesdays and Sundays. However, in order to make sure runners have enough time to do whatever else they must do during the day, the Sunday mornings are at 8:30 a.m. when no one wants to be awake, much less dressed up to go out into the bitter cold, brush their car off, let it warm up so the frost dissipates on the inside of the windshield, and then go running for whatever distance.

But we do it anyway.

It's cold, it's early, and not most people's definition of fun.

Especially not when it snowed all day, the day before.

I even passed up my cousin's engagement party because it was across the city, one hour on the main highway. That's how bad road conditions were.

However, that didn't excuse running this morning. The snowplows had been out, even on sidewalks. They did a reasonable job (read: I wasn't running in knee-deep snow), but I really wish I'd put on my Yaktrax before heading out.

It was a good run, and my Garmin said I used up 400 calories. However, the Garmin doesn't seem to realize it was -15 celcius outside, with windchill to -25 of same said temperature measurement. I'm pretty sure I used at least 100 calories staying warm in said windchill.

When I got home, I showered and then turned it into a bath. Muah to Sundays of relaxing! After that much relaxation, I needed a nap!

Something that I realized today is, with the added energy expenditure, I need to consume more calories too! I thought I was consuming enough today:
a bowl of Cheerios and a cup of coffee pre-run
two Eggo (tm) waffles and some syrup, and a cup of coffee post-run
a small bowl of left-over spaghetti with meat sauce for lunch
three absolutely awful rice wraps from Farm Boy (seriously, they must have been sitting there all day, if they were properly cooked to begin with)
a small bowl of chicken with chillies and basil, no rice
2 bottles of beer
(note, I won't be posting all of my daily meals here, but this was today)
I didn't feel anywhere close to full until the chicken with chillies and basil. Also, if you want to make this recipe, I'd suggest cutting the garlic back to two tablespoons.

That's all for now. Run safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment