Saturday, February 7, 2009

On Not Running

As much thought as I put into running itself, I also put some thought into not running. The difference is important.

Running is awesome, but there are times where not running is just as conducive to your overall fitness as running. It's that time where you give your feet, ankles, knees, and muscles a break from the stresses of pounding pavement, and do something else. It can also go under the title of 'cross training'.

I said I was going to run every day this weekend, because the weather is so nice. However, I didn't run yesterday (at least in a straight line) because I walked home. Then I walked to Ultimate, and ran there.

I didn't run today because my legs are aching. I'm a bit surprised how much they hurt, in fact! My calves are tight, and my quads ache with each stretch I do. I think it's because running in Ultimate is a different style of running, in which different muscles are used. When I get to that heavenly plateau of speed-training, I will get to remember this then.

Today will be a day of rest and recovery. Some theorize that 'pain is nature's way of telling you you're doing it right', for a very certain definition of 'pain', excluding things like broken arms. That's wrong.
However, I learned one lesson early on in ever running - if it hurts now, and you overdo it again, your muscles will lock up, and you will feel very sorry for yourself the following day.

I will run tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment