Sunday, April 12, 2009

This Long Run Sucked

Today we were without our Fearless Leader, James. Something about that dude, long ago, rising from the dead and disappearing three days later... Oh yeah, happy Easter. Even if you don't celebrate it.

Anyway, I'm probably crankier than I was earlier about the run. It was supposed to be a long, slow run of 8km, but wound up being 7km. However, with the absolutely bitchy wind, it felt like forever.

As we set out, the middle pack had a leader who is usually placed in the fast group. Now I know why - she was at the fast group's pace, and rapidly out-distanced the four people who were not looking for a fast run. Since I was already low on energy, I was one of those four.
This incident also highlights the need to take a timer of any type with you - cellphone, watch, iPod, anything that counts minutes. Since we lost our leader so early on, it became a bit of guesswork to figure out exactly how long until the next walk minute was.

And I have learned another lesson: I don't care how lazy you are, how awesome the TV line-up is, etc. Have a square meal the evening before a running morning. In fact, if you're not in the habit of at least three meals plus snacks (healthy of course!), get into it right away. My shining example: Yesterday, I had:
1/2 bagel with peanut butter (pre-run)
2 eggs, 2 pieces of toast, and 2 strips of bacon (around 11 a.m.)
8 perogies (around 9 p.m.)
See that huge gap of 10 hours? The human body is not meant to go that long without food, and to have foolishly eaten such a one-sided meal meant that I lacked a lot of energy and could have hurt myself due to either physical exhaustion or mental carelessness due to exhaustion.
Don't do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment