Sunday, March 11, 2012

Death of a Toe Nail

One thing that I don't miss about running is the way it affects my feet. To my annoyance, it's not a situation that can be solved by new shoes or better socks. Mainly, it's my toe nails. Actually, it's one specific one (as the others do well enough when clipped).
It's a weak nail, and has a tendency to fall off whenever I run a half-marathon. Actually, it falls off several weeks after the race, giving me a lot of time to contemplate the eventual death of that toe-nail. Essentially, a bruise forms beneath the nail, pushing the nail away from its bed, and turning it a spectacular purple-black. The lack of bloodflow (remember, a bruise is full of dying blood cells) will kill the nail.
After today's run, it's feeling pretty tender, so I won't be surprised if it starts turning colour soon and takes a walk.

Anyways, I went out for a nice long run this afternoon. I decided to try to focus on time in my runs instead of distance, so I said to myself, "I'm going to run an hour today!" It turned out to be an hour and 13 minutes, average pace of 7:39m/km, and a distance of 9km! I'm feeling very happy with myself, though I have little doubt that I will feel it tomorrow. My breathing was good, though, and my legs and knees, though tired, are still functioning (after a nice application of ice).

And now, I'm going to have a nap before dinner and a movie with my mother!

No comments:

Post a Comment