Thursday, March 15, 2012

Reconnecting with Friends

One aspect of running that I frequently forget about is the social aspect. It's not that I mean to, or that I'm upset - I just stop visiting places. It's happened with the Running Room (though moving away helped) and with Running Mania, a Canadian running website. I just... stop going.

But part of my re-entry into the great outdoors is acknowledging that man is a pack animal, and sometimes, it doesn't suck to run with people. In fact, it frequently doesn't.

So I logged back onto Running Mania and re-introduced myself. Everyone was happy to see me again, and I'm heading to my first RM event at the end of April! Everyone is full of advice, stories, and jokes, and it's so much fun to find a place on the internet where everyone gets along so well!

In other news, today's run was a lot more pleasant than Tuesday's. Tuesday's 30m run was gross and full of wind and damp and grey skies. It was a huge letdown after a beautiful day.
Today's weather was a lot sunnier in the evening, a lot warmer, but there was still a bit of a cold wind. However, it could have been a lot worse. I decided to run my usual route backwards, for some adventure, and I'm finding that I'm tracking about 4.5k in those 30 minutes. Given some time, patience and effort, I have no doubt I could bring it to 5k in 30 minutes, or even 25 minutes. Wouldn't that be something?

In upcoming races, my friend and I are talking about the Canadian Derby half-marathon race in Edmonton. I asked the RM folk about it, and got a lot of glowing reports! It's fast, as the website boasts, flat, and apparently very well run.
There's also a Run for the Troops on June 3 that has a 5k, 10k, and 21k. I think I'd like to do the 10k.

Speaking of 10k, I looked at the latest e-mail from the near-by Running Room, and it says the half marathon group is doing 10k this week. Just in time! Wouldn't it be funny if I started running with them and wound up in shape to do whatever half-marathon is in May? Hilarious! And tempting.

In other news, I have seen that I am exceeding my cardio calorie needs. Even if I don't run 45 minutes a day, or recumbent-bike on the days I'm not running, I'm still expending more calories than it requires. Me, I'm gonna put that down as one of those things that can't be helped.

In other other news, I've got busy legs like mad and I think I'm gonna go stretch them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment