Friday, March 9, 2012

Spring Running

I love running as winter is melting away, and spring is warming the air.

I don't mean that I enjoy splashing myself through soggy mush, or slipping on the hidden ice beneath. But I do enjoy the feeling of anticipation of a warm run, where I don't come home feeling chilled, where there's sunlight past 6:30 p.m., and I don't need a face mask to avoid frozen skin. The renewal of life seems to renew my love of running.

Today's run was a bit of a challenge. I haven't been outside nearly all winter, but I decided to try to keep a 6.5min/km pace. That's probably about what I do on the treadmill, but doing it on uneven ground, in slush, is a different story! In the end, I had to take more walking breaks than I like, but I did 30 minutes of it, so for my first run, I was pretty happy.

My muscles were pretty complacent with the idea of out-door running. A bit stiff at the beginning, but they soon warmed up. I don't remember if they were entirely happy at the end, but there was a general sense of tiredness in them. I'm looking forward to pushing that wall of tiredness back, starting Sunday. One thing I'd forgotten is to move my neck while running. I am the type of runner who holds her head very stiffly. After about 20 minutes, I need to shake my head and neck a little, or it goes from nada to nagging to 'fix this now there is no option'. No wonder Paula Radcliffe (fastest female runner in the world, and a great role-model to boot!) has a head-bobbing motion; it must negate the stiff-neck issue I have!

It was also my first run with my iPhone. I had hoped to tuck it into the little pocket in my pants, but that was a non-starter when I realized it would drag my pants down. I ran with it in-hand, but I think I'll be looking for an arm band instead.

In other news, I downloaded the MyFitnessPal app for my phone, and so far, I'm quite impressed. They have a very comprehensive food database with easy repeatable options, and they can calculate how much more you can eat a certain day from how much you've exercised (don't get me wrong, they start with a reduced calorie intake idea, and then adjust). What I adore is the option to scan bar-codes of packaged foods, and it shows up in your day's food tally! Well done, MyFitnessPal, well done!

2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Thanks for your comment on my blog www.learningtolovethegym.blogspot.com I am reading away at yours now too to find some running inspiration. Your pace is amazing. I'm working my way towards it. What do you listen to when you run? I was telling a friend that I listen to fast, upbeat music in an effort to keep me running quickly to keep the time of the muci, but she advised most runners she knows choose calming music in order to keep their own internal pace for running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Amber! Wow, thanks for your response!

    I guess it depends - usually, I pick music with a strong beat, but essentially anything that I enjoy listening to. I find my body will find a pace that it likes on a certain day, and trying to run outside that pace will exhaust me (though that's probably an excuse). These days, it's a lot of Hot Hot Heat which is pretty upbeat, the first two Interpol CDs which is a little more laid back, and Rammstein. Also, Carrie Underwood's scorned-women music is a great motivator.

    As for listening to calming music? I don't think I've ever tried it, though it might be a good point. I think that if I can get lost in it, the music works for me.

    It's a very interesting topic: some runners swear vehemently against listening to music completely, that it is distracting. Admittedly, it does make me a bit less aware of my surroundings, which can be dangerous when running in a less-than-stellarly-safe area, or in intersections. Personally, I can run without, but prefer running with so I have something to think of other than my whining muscles or so I have something to dance to when waiting for the light to change.

    Wow, a complicated answer to an easy question!

    Cheers,
    Jelly

    ReplyDelete