Saturday, March 7, 2009

A New Heart-rate Monitor

If you remember, when I started this blog, I was talking about heart-rate monitors. I had decided to go with a very simple one, the F2 by Polar.

It actually came early on that I realized how useless the one-button-to-rule-them-all feature was. I can't flip back and forth between my heart-rate monitoring and my time without stopping the time, a frustration that has led to me using simply the watch, not the heart-rate band.

It comes down to: cheap=simple=not doing what I need it to. So I am in the market for a new one. Le sigh.

Right now, the Garmin Forerunner 305 (which the Sports 4 guy suggested!) is looking really good, despite the price. It can track my progress and distance by GPS, it monitors my heart, I can use it indoors with a superneat Foot Pod (take us to your feet, puny earthling) which ties to your shoe and monitors how far you've gone, and it comes in some nice colours.
However, the Forerunner 405 is a more attractive display, comes with an iPod-like touch bezel, and it can transmit information to other 405 users. It's the same price as the 305, as well, though I don't think the buttons are quite as intuitive as the 305.

Decisions, decisions.

As to why I haven't really looked too hard at Polar: their website is a bit more confusing than the Garmin site - Garmin lets me go through the list of things I need, and suggests an appropriate watch, whereas Polar lets you select multiple watches and shows you the comparisons. I'm just finding Garmin to be easier.

I think this will become a lot more pressing in the next couple of weeks, when I start training by distance instead of time. That gives me a little time to make a choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment