Sunday, March 22, 2009

Post-Run

I went out with the Running Room Group (not the same as the clinic - the group is free), and found it very enjoyable. I think it's a great way to challenge my running pace and to meet and converse with new people.

When we took off, I started chatting with a woman who turns out to be an experienced runner. We chatted about running, the weather, careers, and even the bus strike. Turns out we share opinions on the Union and the City. It was a great run.

Something to bear in mind, though: when you are going for a cool-weather run where your end point is not home, take a warm coat with you.
The temperature gods said it was -2 with a -8 windchill. Hah, I said upon leaving, I will layer up in running clothes and be fine. Which I was, until I arrived at the store. By that time, I had realized I would have to lose one layer (of five, admittedly) to run comfortably.
The wind was quite cold and piercing, so I knew I couldn't take off my wind-breaker, so I took off the t-shirt, and left it at the store. The run was fine, I sweated like usual, and like usual, the sweat got trapped by the wind-breaker.
I arrived back at the store, a bit chilled, and upon putting my t-shirt on again, I realized that I would have to get home in damp, cold clothes that would do nothing to trap heat in, like it had on the walk there.

I know from working with horses that, if you have a damp horse, you never leave them to 'dry off' naturally. Horses, and you, lose a lot of heat, and then energy, when you are wet and cold. Always put a warm, dry coat (or blanket, in the case of a horse). The Running Room has a room downstairs where you can leave your coat while you run.
I certainly wish I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment